Monday, August 27, 2012

Paleo...Caveman...what? Playing with diets.

 
Meat, Fish, Veggies, Nuts, Fruit, Good Fats...Yes, Yes, Yes!
Grains, Starchy Veggies, Dairy, Sugar...NO, NO, No!

Sounds familiar but the Paleo, aka - Caveman, diet must have a slight twist to it because a new rush of people are diving in to eat only what they could grow, catch or gather if we didn't have the convenience of the grocery store.

At first, I thought, isn't this the old Atkins but then I remembered you could have dairy on the Atkins, I think.
Gluten Free?? Nope, no grains at all.  Even the "good" ones.

So, something new and of course, I'M IN!! 
Not so much because I have carefully read over the benefits of the Paleo Diet (I haven't read much of anything besides the grocery list) or I want to find my inner cave-woman but more so because I have been over indulgent lately and I want to get back to increasing my protein intake.  In the past when I have cut down on carbs and upped the protein I have to admit my insides did feel better.
So, I'm off to try this new idea (which I guess is actually a very old, old, old idea).  Which so far on day 1 I have failed straight out the gate with oatmeal this morning.  C'mon, it's oatmeal and I have eaten it every morning for years!

Here is the way I like to ease in to a new way of doing things and I think it can be beneficial for many people, m-o-d-e-r-a-t-i-o-n.  Most people jump in with 2 feet and maybe even an anchor tied to those 2 feet.  Then they drown!  Here's my advice:
  • Do what you can handle to not freak out.
  • As you get used to cutting a few things out, get a little more strict with yourself as you go.
  • If it's not for you don't force yourself, one way isn't the absolute only way to go.
  • Find a balance with what you like from a program and what you like for your life but you still feel good and see results.
  • Don't take forever!  By easing into it I don't mean take a year to cut out pasta from your diet, I'm talking over a few weeks cut out more and more and add in the good things more and more.
This week I am upping my protein and veggie intake, cutting out most carbs but not all.  Next week I may be more prepared and give up my oatmeal...most days.

On the menu this week:
Salad with Chicken, Salmon & veggies, Eggs, Fruit, no-carb meatballs, Pork loin, Turkey, mixed nuts and oatmeal :) 

Once you feel the result of change you will be ALL IN, no matter what it is you are trying to do. You have to stick to it until the point you can tell it's working, from there it's all down hill (as in easy, not that it sucks ;)

Wish me luck!  Maybe next month I'll be climbing trees and flipping boulders for my workouts but probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment