Friday, September 28, 2012

Your Dog Can Make You a Better Runner!

Do any of these sound familiar?
  • I really want to start running.
  • I'm a "jogger" not a runner, wish I was better but I just can't get any better.
  • I run here and there.  It's just so boring but I know when I do it the results are great!
  • My dog is such a SPAZ!
  • I walk my dog but when we get home he still runs around the house being crazy.
  • My dog is only 4 and the vet has him on a diet, I have a fat dog :(
I know, what does wanting to become a better runner have to do with your crazy, fat dog?  TONS!

Believe me, your dog can by your best running partner.  Many have more energy than your average jogger and they will never say no to a run with you.

Maybe you've tried to run with your dog and it just doesn't work, they are too crazy, they pull you along or they stop and lie down every time they see another dog. Well, some of this may need a few visits from a professional trainer but a lot of it can be handled by building up your new routine just like any new exercise regimen you have conquered in the past.

Here are a few ways to ease into it, build up you & your dog's endurance and have a great run together.

1.  You and your dog are not yet fit to run a mile.  You will both want to start slow.  Make your first outing only 10 or 15 minutes.  Try a light jog for a minute or two followed by a recovery walk for the same amount of time.  As you both begin to feel better you can ramp up the running part of your interval with less recovery time until you are jogging for the full 15.  Next try adding in another 15 minute run, one outing in the morning and one in the evening.  Or, you can start adding time and work from 15 minutes up to 30.

2.  You want to become a better runner.  If you are already able to jog for 30 or more minutes but you have a hard time motivating yourself to pick up the pace a young, athletic dog is just the coach you need!  If you have (or get) a dog who can run for a long period of time with no problem, try setting your pace to theirs.  Don't all out sprint and end up wiping out over the leash but go for a pace that will give your dog a good workout.  Sometimes changing the focus to "how can I wear my dog out" instead of "I get to tired if I go any faster" is all you need to do.

3.  If a dog is your partner you won't need to worry about consistency anymore!  They won't let you off the hook and will most likely whine you to death if not drop the leash in your lap.

If your dog is crazy on the leash you will want to be very careful when teaching them to run.  If you know they have more energy than you, you may even want to start off with a game of fetch before you try your first jog.  This will help them get rid of the crazy initial energy so they can focus on trotting nicely with you.

  • Use a sturdy leash. Don't go for one of those waistband leashes right away.  If you have an over exuberant pup you might be drug to the ground.
  • Start off slowly.  Set a nice pace where you know you are in full control and can keep your dog by your side.  If you start out to fast they might think it's time to sprint and play and cause more harm than good.
  • Make frequent changes to gain their attention.  Vary your pace from a quick walk to a light jog, throw in a few turn-rounds so they realize they need to pay attention.  A few minutes of this always gets my dog into her most attentive state which is not always easy when the squirrels are in cahoots!
  • Be consistent!  As you keep working with your dog they will understand what the "run" is all about.  Soon they will settle in by your side from start to finish but don't expect this to quickly.  Give them time and be consistent.  The more you practice and show them what you want the better it will be.
Zoe (pictured below) has been my running partner for 3 years.  She was only about 2 when we started running together and it was no easy fete!  Our early days included her doing a somersault in the middle of an intersection because she had an itch she just had to get to when we were in a full run, yanking me toward trees while she jumped at squirrels, way too many surprises of other dogs around corners and pretty much me just trying to keep up with her.
Now our runs have many benefits for both of us.  She settles in immediately and we have a "set" pace we both know.  I am a faster runner because of her energy.  If I don't want to run I know I need to get her out so even if it's a short one I get out there and do it.  Running with her is a big time saver, workout...done!  exercise the dog....done!

Have fun and be patient, you will get in your groove.  If you are in need of a running buddy check out your local shelters.  many 1-2 year old dogs end up there due to too much energy, the family didn't know what they were getting into, no time for them....  Exercise makes all the difference between a relaxed dog and a high strung dog.
Get out there and hit the pavement!

For more info on training with your dog visit Bow~Wow Boot Camp.  Get personal or small group training for you and your pup.

No comments:

Post a Comment